Re: [RML] Suitable tankmates for Pseudomugil signifier and Ps. cyanodorsalis

Bruce Hansen (bruceh at powerup.com.au)
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 22:40:58 +1000

Wright - I think the problem is how long this fish will maintain fertility
and vigour in purely fresh water. In nature, heavy rains and tidal
influences will often result in them being in a layer of lighter freshwater
in the top few inches of the water column they prefer. In fact sometimes
Darwin Harbour is virtually pure fresh for weeks at a time but in the long
run, in nature as well as in captivity I believe they need salt ( from FS to
1/5)

I remember visiting that particular LFS when I was there for the Rainbowfish
Convention. They had some amazingly unusual fishes that interested me -
beautiful golden Pseudomugil gertrudae (from the Aru Islands I think),
Telmatherina bonti (which I had never seen alive before) etc etc

In my experience the length of time a display tank population of any species
is maintained in any LFS is likely to be less than 3 months and I'm sure
they could handle that before starting to go downhill.

Regards,
Bruce Hansen
vicepresident - ANGFA Inc, ANGFA (Qld) Inc
Please visit us at http://www.angfa.org.au