Re: protection of brown trout information/referral (fwd)

Zelazny/McClure (marvin at itchy.mis.nb.ca)
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 22:09:38 -0400

>In a message dated 96-02-04 23:25:18 EST, springfish at mail.utexas.edu (Peter
>J. Unmack) writes:
>
>> I am with the Montgomery County Planning Department in
>>> Maryland and we are trying to protect a brown trout
>>> population in a suburban area. We are in the process of
>>> acquiring large tracts of land for conservation parks and
>>> are limiting impervious surfaces in the watershed to 10
>>> percent.
>>
>>Seems funny how much money some people will put into protecting certain
>>exotic species. If only native fish were as sexy to most folk as exotic
>>ones....... All done in the name of conservation too. I wonder what effect
>>this has on the native fauna and what considerations are going into the
>>impacts of brown trout before they spend the money on so called "habitat
>>improvement"?

Before passing judgement, I'd need more context. The brown trout population
is already there. Would you get rid of it? Is there a native population of
trout to restore? What is the objective of the conservation park?