Re: protection of brown trout information/referral (fwd)

Rjga at aol.com
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 08:51:27 -0500

In a message dated 96-02-04 23:25:18 EST, springfish at mail.utexas.edu (Peter
J. Unmack) writes:

> I am with the Montgomery County Planning Department in
>> Maryland and we are trying to protect a brown trout
>> population in a suburban area. We are in the process of
>> acquiring large tracts of land for conservation parks and
>> are limiting impervious surfaces in the watershed to 10
>> percent.
>
>Seems funny how much money some people will put into protecting certain
>exotic species. If only native fish were as sexy to most folk as exotic
>ones....... All done in the name of conservation too. I wonder what effect
>this has on the native fauna and what considerations are going into the
>impacts of brown trout before they spend the money on so called "habitat
>improvement"?
>
>Just out of curiosity, other than the impacts of brown trout on native
>salmonid populations, has any other work been done demonstating negative
>impacts of brown trout on other North American native fish?
>
>Tootles

Because native eastern brook, exotic brown, and transplanted rainbow trout
are all managed by state agencies who get their funding principally from
fishing and hunting licenses and from the taxes on fishing tackle, and
because the American Fisheries Society is made up largely of these people as
well, the question of impacts of brown trout on native trout populations is
akin to Clinton's Don't ask, don't tell policy. State agencies continue to
equate recreational trout fishing (any trout) as an equivalent public concern
to maintenance of a balanced indigenous population. If you think that's
weird, in North Carolina an equally valid consideration is the use of public
waters for any public purpose, including baptisms in some rural communities.
I don't think that's all bad, but you must recognize that all public uses are
weighed equally, and it is up to a defender of threatened species, under a
particular state or federal statute, who must make the case that protection
of the particular species is an overriding public concern. - Bob Goldstein