Re: [RML] Melanotaenia crossbreeding

Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:23:47 +1000

Tim

Not only will any sexually mature Melanotaenia cross with any other in
aquaria but the various genera will cross too to a large extent. There have
been examples between Melanotaenia, Glossolepis, Chilatherina and even with
Rhadinocentrus and the distantly related Bedotia. I am not aware of crosses
with Cairnsicthys but I feel that is more because they are not as commonly
kept.

In the wild even where 3 or 4 species co-exist there is no significant
hybridisation.