Re: [RML] Melanotaenia crossbreeding

Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:57:14 +1000

> From: Adrian R. Tappin <atappin at ecn.net.au>
> To: rainbowfish at pcug.org.au
> Subject: Re: [RML] Melanotaenia crossbreeding
> Date: Friday, 26 June 1998 7:08
>

> I don't think there has been enough research to positively say what
species
> will breed with another. Although there has been a fair amount of
> crossbreeding reported in the aquarium hobby so I think it would be
> reasonable to expect that most species would crossbreed if a suitable
mate
> of the same species was not available.

I think it is fair to say that most of the crosses reported happened
accidentally or perhaps more accurately, not on purpose. Although many turn
out to be beautiful specimens, as a hobby oriented group I feel that most
of us are in favour of discouraging crosses. Many crosses never get to be
mentioned in publications and the reports are anecdotal. Perhaps we could
use this forum to record any crosses we know of with some degree of
accuracy. I am not in favour of us deliberately wasting time, tankspace and
enthusiasm on crossbreeding experiments just to satisfy someone's academic
curiosity that it can happen.

Unfortunately Tim the resultant progeny are usually fertile and especially
females are often hard to differentiate from their parents and occasionally
are then used by hobbyists as broodstock and we wnd up with 'foreign" genes
in our lines.