RE: [RML] Virus Warning (Kind of Spam)

Andrew Boyd (andrew at pcug.org.au)
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:12:41 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Graeme Finsen wrote:

> Hmmmmmm.
> This is an old "joke" which has been circulating the net for about 9
> years now. Before then it was common on mail boards etc. etc. It is
> very hard for a "mail" file to self execute especially to execute
> reformating your hard drive or deleting files. And Microsoft doesn't
> issue warnings like this one. And in all honesty I've never actually
> seen a mail called "Win a Holiday !!". But then again, there is always
> a first time :-).

Well, folks, the good news ;) is that under Win98 it will be possible to
download a system-killing virus in email - or so it is said - details in
various net.magazines around the place.

Graeme is right, these "killer email virus" memes have been around a long
time, without any actual occurences to support them. This may be about to
change, it may not.

Cheers, Andrew