RE: [RML] Body Sliders

Adrian R. Tappin (atappin at ecn.net.au)
Sat, 06 Jun 1998 09:46:20 +1000

At 01:25 5/06/98 -1000, Mach wrote:

>I have also noticed a few when I forced P. cyanodorsalis and P. signifer
>Ross River. I typically take a bunch of eyed up eggs that are over due for
>hatching and place them into a vial about half full with incubation water
>and the eggs. Then exhale into the vial, (kill all the eggs with halitosis
>;-) and walk around with the vial in my pocket. This works very well and
>helps to syncronize all the fry. I think my water is a bit off (salt
>concentration or silica, Ca, etc) and very few fry hatch out on their own.

You're not a closet Bundy drinker are you Mach ;-)

I have this vision of Dr. Bruce handing out little specimen jars each with
methylene blued water and a few fish eggs to his patients and telling them
to keep the jars close to their person then come back and see him in a weeks
time with the specimen jars ;-)

Seriously though, what benchmark are you using to decide if hatching is
overdue and what is your water analysis? Also this 'forced hatching' has me
a little confused?

>In this case maybe the fry are premature when hatched or overdue again as a
>reason for belly sliders (killies anyway). I think something simmilar was
>seen with water incubating annual killie eggs until they hatched,
>typically all would turn into belly sliders. They also have bee worning on
>partial water (4 weeks) then dry storage. In this case the incunbation time
>was greatly reduced (normally in a 6 month incubation species could be cut
>to two months). But very often I am told the result is belly sliders.

What is it about Killie Keepers and Rainbowfishes. Its seems that nearly
everyone who keeps rainbowfishes has or does keep Killies???

BTW you will be pleased to hear that my connieae are spawning well and most
are hatching ;-)

Adrian.
Adrian R. Tappin
"Home of the Rainbowfish"