RE: illegal fish importation

Adrian R. Tappin (atappin at ecn.net.au)
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 07:38:54 +1000

At 07:30 11/07/96 -0700, Unmack wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Barry Meiklejohn wrote:
>snip,snip

>If I worked for customs or politics the first thing I would do it redo
>the list of fish that were in the country before the ban (which is a well
>known list) and anything further to that I would slap a heavy fine on
>anyone who has it in their possesion. It would not be hard to figure out
>who the 10 most likely people are in ANGFA to have illegal fish. I would
>hit those 10 houses and make examples out of them. One doesn't need to
>hit every house.

A similiar plan was mooted by Qld Fisheries Department many years ago with
Cichlid Keepers and a network of telephone contacts were set-up for just an
occassion so that when one house was hit all others would be notified. Also
many fish were moved around and many close relatives became instant
fishkeepers. I was one of those Cichlid Keepers and I learned a lot from
those days.

Qld Fisheries changed their minds and instead issue permits for Members of
the Qld Cichlid Group to keep their fishes. These permits had a few
conditions attached but the administration of the system became too
complexed and Fisheries dropped the hold idea and allowed free trade in all
species.

Anyway, most "Illegal" rainbowfishes are widely spread in the general
community and its just not a feasible action as it would achieve nothing!
Also almost all are on commercial wholesale lists available to any retail
aquarium store that wants to purchase them.

BM>> A lot of "illegal" importation is done by individuals. How can anyone
>say it is ANGFA doing it. ANGFA has some policies in this area and as a
>group we have always encouraged members to uphold the law. What we do
>as individuals is outside the control of the group. ANGFA should not be
>seen as a "governing body" as far as I am concerned it should be
>promoted as a mechanism for like minded people to share in the
>companionship and support of fellow hobbyists. >

PU>If it wants to maintain it's credible reputation maybe it should.

Next you will want to ban smokers from being members of ANGFA - Yes! I'm one
of those too!! I say leave the law-makers and law-breakers to their own
devices and get back to fishkeeping! there are plenty of "Greeny"
Organisations out there for anyone with like interest.

Adrian.
Adrian R. Tappin
atappin at ecn.net.au
http://www.ecn.net.au/~atappin/home.htm