Re: [RML] rainbowfish goiter

Tyrone Genade (Tgenade at akad.sun.ac.za)
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:36:16 +0200

On 25 Jul 2001, at 11:53, Wright Huntley wrote:

> I sincerely hope you didn't mean iodine, literally. :-)

No. KI is Potassium iodide... I just get a bit muddled...

> Iodide is
> chemically nearly identical with chloride for most gross effects
> (thyroid special stuff aside), so I can't see where 0.1 ppm is all
> that much as iodide.

Iodine occurs in the form of various species and is
quite complex... 2/3 iodate, 1/3 iodide in Sea water.
Together they total as 0.06 ppm Iodine in Sea water. As
a trace element it seems very effective at low doses.

> Untergasser, for treatment, uses a stock solution of 0.5g iodine and
> 5g KI in 100 ml of water. He then doses with 1 ml per 50 liters of
> tank water and change water (1 drop per 5 liters).

Thanks, wish I had got this a couple of days ago...

Thanks

Bye

Tyrone Genade
Southern African Killifish Society Coastal & Offshore Coordinator
AKA 08248
tyronegenade at yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/tyronegenade

P450 Lab, Biochemistry Department
University of Stellenbosch, 7602, South Africa
Ph: +27-021-808-5876, fax: +27-021-808-5863

In God I trust,
but in all others I must have irrefutable proof!