Re: [RML] Melanotaenia praecox, found around Siewa

Sun, 3 Jan 1999 10:46:52 -1000

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Martin Haas <michael.m.haas at netcologne.de>
>...More recently they have also been found in swampy habitats around
>Siewa, a remote area of northern Irian Jaya just to the west of the
>Mamberamo River Basin. These specimens differ from the Mamberamo
>representatives in having a red stripe between each scale row and
>males do not get so deep-bodied...
>
>Is this spezies already kept in Europa / Germany?
>Are there pictures anywhere?

There are pictures in the latest issue of "Fishes of Sahul" (ANGFA's
Journal) from Dr Jerry Allen's trip when he discovered them there. Perhaps
Heiko Bleher already has some - he seems to be always ready to seek out
anything new. ANGFA's Journal is only available to members and details of
membership etc are available at our Home Page at
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~fisher/angfa

>I don't find the source at the moment, but somewhere I read of I. werneri
>which can get a size of 7 cm. Who knows more?

In nature I. werneri are a rapidly breeding inhabitant of warm weedy swamps
and are food for almost every thing else with a mouth big enough so very few
get to grow huge. In captivity if you keep them in big tanks or ponds with
good water quality, warmth and plenty of live food they will live for 3 or
more years and eventually get to around 3 inches TL. Bob Gray in Sydney kept
them in schools in 6 ft tanks and fed them lots of microworms and he had
some "monsters"

Regards,
Bruce.

Bruce Hansen, A.N.G.F.A., Advancing Australian Aquatics.