Re: [RML] Melanotaenia praecox, found around Siewa

Adrian Tappin (atappin at ecn.net.au)
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 09:33:38 -1000

At 02:07 3/01/99 +0100, Michael wrote:
>On Adrians Hompage I found the following:
>
>... Melanotaenia praecox are native to the Mamberamo River system,
>which forms one of the largest river system in New Guinea...
>
>...More recently they have also been found in swampy habitats around
>Siewa, a remote area of northern Irian Jaya just to the west of the
>Mamberamo River Basin. These specimens differ from the Mamberamo
>representatives in having a red stripe between each scale row and
>males do not get so deep-bodied...
>
>Is this spezies already kept in Europa / Germany?
>Are there pictures anywhere?

Unfortunately No to the first question and yes to the second. A photo of
this variety was published in the last issue of _Fishes of Sahul_ - the
Journal of the Australia New Guinea Fishes Association who's membership is
the cheapest and best value of all the rainbowfish groups :-)

Back issue are available - contact our treasurer, Peter Surmon for
membership details at email psurmon at ozemail.com.au

Gee, I just love the chance for a free plug :-)

>BTW (1)
>I don't find the source at the moment, but somewhere I read of I. werneri
>which can get a size of 7 cm. Who knows more?

I guess if you measure from the tip of the snout to the end of the caudal
fin you could get 7 cm?

Adrian.

Adrian R. Tappin
"Home of the Rainbowfish"