Re: [RML] RE: Shipping eggs

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:54:31 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, B.G. Granier wrote:

> What is the proper protocol if any for shipping Rainbow fish to Australia as
> far as Australian laws are concerned?
>
> I have had a couple requests for Melanotania eggs and would like to be legal
> if I ship the eggs to Australia.

Totally illegal. Actually, it is rather shameful that some folks would ask
you to do this without at least letting you know that it is illegal
(irrespective of whatever anyones opinion is on whether we should or shouldn't
import rainbows into this country). Rainbowfish eggs are regularly sneaked
into Australia this way, but I sure as hell wouldn't be putting my name and
address on it, nor writing what the contents are on the envolope.

Tootles
Peter J Unmack peter.unmack at asu.edu
DESERT FISHES RULE: To boldly thrive where no other fish can make it!

Desert Springs Action Committee at http://www.tkphotos.com/dsac/
Desert Fishes Council http://www.utexas.edu/depts/tnhc/.www/fish/dfc
Australian Desert Fishes as above just add australi or click on Australia
Australian Freshwater Fish Biogeography at http://www.peter.unmack.net/biogeog
North American Native Fishes Association at http://www.nanfa.org
Native Fish Australia at http://www.nativefish.asn.au
Aquatic Conservation Network at http://www.acn.ca

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid
people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full
of doubts." -Betrand Russell