Re: [RML] what fish are there in the Eden, NSW area

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:01:02 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, troy wrote:

> Hi all, just a quick question, i am going to Eden for a holiday in a few
> weeks and was wondering what sort of fish i could expect to find, i
> especially would like to catch some P. signifer, and and rainbows that might
> be in the area ( M. fluviatilis??)

Way too far south for rainbows. This is gudgeon country (aren't most
places!). Gobiomorphus (striped and Cox's gudgeons), Philypnodon (dwarf and
regular flathead gudgeons), empire gudgeons, there is a single questionable
record of firetail gudgeon, then if you go down to the estuaries you'll also
find loads of gobies, although they are mostly similar to what you'd find in
Victoria. There are loads of signifers too in the lower reaches/estuaries.
As for collecting spots, anywhere with water would be a good start! My
collecting there has all been a little further north around Batemans Bay.

> And also do i need a fishing licence in NSW to colect these fish??

Probably, but I don't think they have any inspectors anymore, the liberal govt
got rid of them a few years ago when they got rid of fishing licences (which
were subsequently brought back in under labor).

Please let the list know what you find.

Tootles
Peter