Re: [RML] it's amazing what you find in stores...

Gary Lange (gwlange at stlnet.com)
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 20:46:23 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Davis <unclescott at prodigy.net>
To: rainbowfish at pcug.org.au <rainbowfish at pcug.org.au>
Date: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 10:44 PM
Subject: Re: [RML] it's amazing what you find in stores...

>A number of years ago Jim Thomerson wrote a note to the Journal Copeia
about
>a shark being caught in the nets of professional fishermen in 1937 in the
>Mississippi River near the Illinois town of Alton - a long ways up the
>Mississippi. Thomerson didn't feel that such an incident would happen again
>because of the flood control dams on the river since built. He suggested
>that a certain water temperature (only seasonally that warm in the middle
>Mississippi) was the limiting factor in terms of how far north they could
>wander.
>
>He also alluded to the Bull sharks (aka Zambezi sharks) swimming up the
>Amazon at least as far a Manaus. I wonder if some of the stories of little
>kids being carried away, attributed to a giant catfish - the salton, really
>should be credited to bull sharks, listed on some web sites as having a
very
>cosmopolitan diet, inclined to "believe that the area that they happen to
be
>swimming in is their area..." and being perhaps the most dangerous of
sharks
>to people. They (and all sharks) seem to account for far fewer people than
>do crocs.

Oh that's a crock :-) HEIKO SAYS :-0 :-) that crocs are really friendly
little buggers and they really don't eat people. I just hope that if you
ever happen to have the ANGFA conference in the NT that you blokes don't
dare Heiko to go swimming with them just to prove his point.

Carcharinus leucas has also been sighted in many of the African
>rivers, the Ganges, Mekong, Tigris and has you guys have mentioned,
>Australia, among other places.
>
>The Lake Nicaragua shark shark seems now to be just to be a bull shark.
(See