Re: [RML] it's amazing what you find in stores...

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Wed, 02 Feb 2000 09:18:34 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000 Piabinha at AOL.COM wrote:

> mach mentioned freshwater sharks. the only ones i heard of were in the
> amazon, but they are not very big, and certainly not available in the hobby.

I don't know their names, but Peter Last (a sharkish kinda guy) was telling me
about a freshwater one in Australia, although he thinks it may be extinct. I
think he said it lived in NE Qld. This species, whatever it is apparently is
only known from a few records, and I think Peter said it may closely resemble
another species, hence why it is so little known. That's about all my meager
memory can dig up, and even then I wouldn't rely on it too much. :-)

There used to be a freshwater shark in Irian Jaya (it was in one of the
"recent" Aqua Geo's by Allen), but there haven't been any records of it for
some time. It lived in a lake. Wasn't (or isn't) there also a shark in Lake
Nicauragua (or however you spell it)? I seem to remember there was something
out of the ordinary in that lake.

Cheers
Peter Unmack