Re: [RML] Re: ethoxyquin

H. Hoekstra (hugo at pondlibrary.org)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:20:11 +0100

Hello Gary,

On 23-Aug-99, Gary Lange wrote:
>I was wondering if Hugo had any positive proof that product with Ethoxyquin
>causes tumors and deformaties. Let's quote a scientific paper here and not

I'm still researching for my article, but it seems that there is no conclusive
scientific study that proves Ethoxyquin is dangerous - or safe for animals.
The use is at least questionable. It is illegal in the EEC to use it in
provision for human consumption.

>some Drudge report though. There was some "hysteria" on the web a few
>years ago about this product but no one could really come up with the
>research to actually show that this occurred, just some person taking shots
>at the companies that used the product. This sort of thing has occured
>quite often with "web lore" and I think it also happened with this product.
>I think a recent example is that product that takes "doggy smells" out of
>your
>couch, Fabri. People started sending messages all over as chain letters,
>telling them that it would kill their pets. Absolutely no truth in the
>matter. Ethoxyquin and Monsanto, as far as I know though Monsanto was not
>marketing it for a preservative in foods, just for rubber tires. I checked
>informally a few years ago when the first hysteria went out.

That's right, a rubber preservative. I don't know if they marketed it as
a food preservative but that makes no difference, since it's used as one.

>And as far as "famous for" genetically modified organisms - It's difficult
>to sit down and type out a quick email to talk about all of the experiments
>and safeguards that are in place regarding these products. There is
>probably more work done to prove safety than the actual experiment to
>introduce the improvement into the organism. Many of these improvements
>will mean that tons and tons of insecticides will no longer be used on many
>crops, much of which gets into our water supply. Those products cause much
>more harm in the long run to the consumer and the environment. I think that
>if you sit down and do some serious reading on the matter you will find the
>benefits to society far outweigh any perceived risks.

I have read about it but I don't think that you are aware of the dangers of
genetically modified crops, let me just say that there are better alternatives
than insecticides OR genetically altered crops.

Best regards,

Hugo Hoekstra