Re: [RML]Mr Mathew Anybody

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:39:09 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Bruce Hansen wrote:

> It will be interesting to see what the kH at the springs is when next
> someone get a chance to get out there. It is logical when one considers that
> the springs chemistry is based "soda".

The springs are high in sodium bicarbonate, hence yes, it will be quite
high. One could easily get a minimum estimate by dumping sod. bicarb into a
cup of water, as you add more the pH will rise to 8.2, but as more is added it
will fall back to 8.0. If you took a kH reading when the pH first drops back
to 8.0 it will at least provide a minimum value. The springs are usually
around pH 8.

Mind you, I never had these problems in Melbourne water with the wild fish
which is low in almost everything. But they were wild fish cf. those raised
in captivity at lower kH.

Tootles
Peter