Re: [RML] wish list

jazep at www.peter.unmack.net
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 09:01:48 -0700 (MST)

Amen Chris! (say Yay-ess!) ;)

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, chris drew wrote:

> There are 100= people in ANGFA NA and 300+ in the RSG. So the people
> that are trading and selling represents about 2.5% of the membership.
> Can't we do better than that? I think we'll have to, if we want any
> significant
> portion of the species we currently have to be around in two or three
> years.

I did a count... He's right, yunno. Sad but true. :(

> So Roy and Gary before you "knee jerk" to this idea give it some
> thought.
> It would be a nice reward for the folks who have been working hard to
> keep the species going. No doubt I would benefit from this idea but
> tell me what you think.

Another thought: folks who keep plants often get together and place a
very large order to make the costs per plant cheaper and to reduce the per
person postage costs. Perhaps RSG/ANGFA NA could do a similar thing,
sending to Oz/Europe for a large quantity of fish at a time, but for a
number of members here. It would spread the costs out of getting the
things here, and would get new spp into the members' hands at a reduced
cost (still prob not cheap, but better anyhow, than going and getting them
oneself). One person would have to be incharge of the logistics of such an
enterprise, and of course, all $$ up front. Getting that volunteer (and
the nec paperwork) would probably be as big a task as anything, tho'. ;)

> G.maculosus is a great example. Who do you know that has this fish?
> How well has it been distributed? NOT At ALL! Why?

Tell me about it!!!!!!! :( What, TWO people have those kids.... MAYBE?!?
I've been hearing about them being in this country for at least the last
year, but where the heck are they? You are right, Chris, "Why?" It is
pretty pathetic if you ask me. I would kill to get those fish, but don't
have a clue as to how to get em, cause the one guy who said he had em
never released any to my knowledge.... despite even advertising them. I
responded to that ad and never heard another thing afterward.

Hell, that's ok, Buddy, you are also the only one out there who wants any
of these Mogurnda pulchra that I am trying to distribute into the hobby
here. Cheap, too, unlike *some* people. ;) It'll probably end up that
they get out to maybe 6 people and the rest go to a wholesaler and get
lost forever. :( Again, pathetic. This IS gonna happen if the hobbyists
don't ask for em soon tho'. No wonder the Europeans don't often go to the
trouble of sending us fish if this is the response.

Awright, off the box now...
Julie <><