RE: [RML] empire gudgeons

Rob Wager (raintree at mail.cth.com.au)
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:53:36 +1000

Yeah Roy, I'm still here. Doing all those things Rhonda mentioned, plus many more, means I don't contribute as much as I would like....

Some advice for c.pollino on Empire Gudgeons - don't bother breeding them in aquariums unless you really like a challenge. They will spawn very readily, and the larvae will hatch but they are a bugger to raise. If you just want a few to increase your stoc
ks raise the youngsters in a nice green outdoor pond during summer. If you want to do it commercially use a bigger pond!

If you insist on trying here are a few hints:

Do not try to rear a whole spawning. Keep about 100 to 200, or even less (see below).

The young are too small and too poorly developed to be called fry. I call them larvae. They need food a few days after hatching. If you can see a developed mouth and their guts moving (when you look at them under a microscope) then they are ready to eat.
Without checking my notes I think it is about day four?

You need to use a very small food at least for the first week or two. Live food is best - green water plankton culture sieved through a 0.1mm (100 micron) mesh will work, but you need heaps off it. If you have too many larvae to feed (e.g. a whole spawn)
the sieved green water will not contain enough food items for each larvae and they will all die.

You could try a micro-encapsulated feed. Prawn (shrimp) farmers use them to feed their newly hatched prawns. The feed should have a grain size of less than 60 microns. I think you can get one from 5 to 30 microns - it would be ideal.

You need to use a lot of either live or micro-encapsulated feeds. The larvae only eat what they bump into, so the water must be cloudy with food. If you can see the back of a 30 cm wide aquarium, do a water change and add more food.

Obviously with this much food you will need to keep a close eye on water quality. Regular water changes and lots off food is the secret.

After two weeks you could start adding rotifers or newly hatched brine shrimp. If you make it this far then you should be able to start sleeping at nights again.

Good luck

Rob Wager.