Re: Australian Aquatic Plants

Peter Hughes (peterh at pican.pi.csiro.au)
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 09:29:45 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Andy Wattam wrote:

> Cary,
>
> There are quite a few species of crypts here in Oz. However we have strict
> regulations to bring more into the country. It is quite expensive to import
> them, and only a couple of people organise this.
>
> Andy

Actually the restrictions for crypts are in the low risk category. I
cheked into this with our quarantine section a month or two ago. Plants
can be brought in bare rooted and then subjected to a three month
quarantine with no plants within 3M. Seeds may be brought in at any stage
with simple visual examination. I will say again that crypts are regarded
as beng low risk, however they are known carriers of a couple of
nemotodes that we do not want in the country because they can be a
pathogen of some minor crops.

Peter Hughes