RE: Desert Gobies

Barry Meiklejohn (barrym at powerup.com.au)
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 13:39:54 +1000

Chris

----------
From: Chris Howe
Subject: Desert Gobies

Can anyone offer some tips to encourage breeding, and then to get
the youngsters raised? Foods? Adults in or out after spawning? And so on.

Although I haven't had much luck myself (only bred 1 juvenile out of a trio
- so far), Davin Beusey on the Sunshine Coast had good success by putting
them in almost pure salt water. Apparently he just neglects them but they
keep breeding. I believe from four parents he now has hundreds in a four
foot aquarium.

My own fish are set in a shallow four foot tank with a lot of limestone
rocks. The algae tends to take over as the tank is outside, but when I
cleaned the glass just before the conference I noticed one juvenile, about
1cm long.

I suppose desert gobies would condition well on brine shrimp (Peter U will
be able to tell us) but mine only get algae and whatever other organisms
live in the tank (probably a few mosquitoes have tried to breed in there).

Regards,
Barry.