Re: Airpumps

Greg. Ure (gregure at ozemail.com.au)
Mon, 07 Oct 1996 22:59:27 +1100

drews at webgate.net wrote:

> Thanks guys! I've filed all the suggestions for further study. I think Cary's
> Suggestion was reasonable. If I can get a whisper 950 for the price he
> mentioned, that would be quite affordable!
> Thanks again to all of you.
> Chris

Another idea is the Air Reservoirs method of getting more use out of smaller pumps. See Below :

Killies seem to need many small tanks and this leads to some people with multi-tank setups.
One of the problems with multi-tank arrangements is the supply of air and in time the
arrangement is a bit like Topsy in that "it just growed". Finally many seem to rationalise the
setup and one problem is the airpump - air supply. Many setups were observed and the
neatest ones with the most reliable air supplies to the tanks were all observed using AIR
RESERVOIRS. Simply the system was this. The airpump outlet is connected to an
enclosed tube about 3" or 60mm in diameter and a length of at least 12" or 300mm with
end caps fitted. This must have no leaks. Plastic downpipe has been used with some success
as has copper piping. The latter is harder to work with. Drill as many holes into the tube as
required and if using plastic; glue in the air-valves as well as an inlet tube. If you have no
plastic downpipe or the metal equivalent; it may be that you have a plastic bottle. Just be
careful to wash it out completely and extremely carefully. There is some argument that
would suggest that air should be pumped through the system and all of the tubing for some
while to ensure that any volatile compounds in the plastic may be rid of before the system
is used. The pump is connected onto the air inlet for use. The air hoses are then connected
to an outlet valve, and the air pipes to where they are needed. Some have one pipe for each
outlet in the lank. Others have a pipe to each gang valve. Others then put the air into a quite
large diameter garden hose pipe and then take off where the pipe goes past the tank. What
is interesting is that those people who use the reservoir are most excited about them.
Why bother ??? The fishkeepers with them are most enthusiastic. It would seem as though
the air produced by the pump is better used as the output seems to be effectively increased.
One bank of 24 tanks was using all the air of two Wisa pumps, but with the air reservoir
fitted it became unnecesary to keep the two pumps and now only one is in use. It does the
same job that the two were doing before with the same number of tanks and oultlets fed.
The second pump is now used as a standby in case the first fails or needs an overhaul. From
observations of other users this seems borne out. As the unit is easily made and installed,
and can provide a neater system for air supply it may be worth your while trying it out. The
sketch should give enough information to show how it all fits together. One reasonable
sized airpump should be more economical to purchase and maintain than more smaller
units, and leads to a simpler layout of pipes, electrical cords, power boxes, and plugs. If you
have a couple of good pumps and do not want to change them just run them both into the
same airbox. Please do not think that this set-up is just for Killies. Any kind of multi-tank
set-up for any sort of fish may benefit by it.

Air Reservoirs - Reprinted from "New Zealand Killifish" Vol. 15. No5, 1986

Regards
Greg Ure

Attachment Converted: c:\eudora\attach\AIR_CYL.gif