RE: Nightfish

Bruce Hansen (bhansen at oznet02.ozemail.com.au)
Sat, 5 Oct 1996 08:05:57 +1000

From: David Bloch[SMTP:ebloch at alpha7.curtin.edu.au]
Sent: Saturday, 5 October 1996 0:53

<<Has anyone got any idea about the reproductive cycle in Nightfish
(Bostokia
porosa) because a Proffessor at uni recently told me that someone mentioned
to him that the Nightfish is perculiar because it has internal
fertilisation. Can anyone verify this?>>

What an interesting little fish! I have checked all my references and have
nothing recen t on Bostockia at all. The only references to breeding are
scant and comment on the spawning season. It belongs to the Percicthid
family which includes Murray Cod etc and by association would be expected
to breed similarly. Perhaps there is a good project there for ANGFA(WA)
members. Please is anyone over there interested in doing us some A - Z
Sheets on WA fish ? We are trying to make the series as representative as
possible.

Bruce Hansen

ANGFA

David Bloch B.Sc. (BIOLOGY)
AQUATIC TECHNOLOGIES - Consultant, Design, Construction and
Maintenance of Aquaria, both fresh and seawater
ANGFA (WA) home page: http://student.curtin.edu.au/~ebloch/ANGFA.HTML
Email - ebloch at alpha1.curtin.edu.au
Snail Mail - 15 Ramsay Close Noranda, Perth Western Australia, 6062