Re: [RML] Re: Euthanizing fish

Christophe Mailliet (christophe.mailliet at web.de)
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:52:35 +0200

Harro,

Sorry to contradict you, but..

"The ability for these fish to survive in such inhospitable environments is due to an accessory breathing organ, called
the labyrinth organ, which allows these fish to breathe air from the atmosphere. The labyrinth organ is situated above the gills, and occupies most of the gill-chamber, as a consequence the gills have become much reduced, and some species will die from suffocation, if prevented from breathing at the surface. (http://www.mrcmekong.org/pdf/Anabantoids.pdf)"

So technically. they don't drown, but can indeed suffocate if prevented from taking a gulp of air from time to time..

Christophe

r_m_l at yahoogroups.com schrieb am 24.10.05 12:40:30:

Christophe,

Bettas can drown. They do not breath through gills.

Regards Harro

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: r_m_l at yahoogroups.com [r_m_l at yahoogroups.com] Im Auftrag von Christophe Mailliet
Gesendet: Montag, 24. Oktober 2005 12:14
An: r_m_l at yahoogroups.com
Betreff: Re: [RML] Re: Euthanizing fish

As far as I know bettas only use air breathing via the labyrinth organ as a supplement to their normal, underwater breathing via gills.. So it should have worked. One thing that has worked with fish that I wanted to send as specimen per post, was to drop them in 70% ethanol. They died within seconds. Still was not a nice sight.. Christophe

r_m_l at yahoogroups.com schrieb am 24.10.05 12:02:56:

--- In r_m_l at yahoogroups.com, "Harro Hieronimus"
<harro.hieronimus at t...> wrote:

> I'm sorry, but how will you euthanize a fish that breathes air? Of
> course clove oil and other anaesthetics can't work in exclusively air
> breathing labyrinth fish!
>

> Regards Harro

Ow... well, see, nobody told me that. They should warn people about it
then, that it's not applicable to all species. :(

Yahoo! Groups Links

--
"You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time." Bob Marley, 1973.

Banana fish Fish oil Fish oil supplement Fish pond liner Fish food Fish pond heater
Visit your group "r_m_l" on the web.