Re: SV: SV: [RML] p gertrudae and I.werneri

Adrian Tappin (atappin at
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 12:43:14 +1000

G'day Hans,
At 12:48 21/11/98 +0100, you wrote:

> Still no offers of the species that I asked
>for and I think it is a little sad. Some have emailed me and asked for eggs
>from my P. gertrudae and I will be glad to send some eggs when itīs not so
>cold .

Anyone sending or taking live rainbowfishes (or eggs) out of Australia
requires a permit from the Wildlife Protection Authority. The export of
native fishes from Australia is controlled by the Wildlife Protection
(Regulation of Exports and Imports) Act 1982. Controls under this Act apply
to museums, zoos, scientific institutions, commercial organisations,
tourists, and the general public. This Act regulates the importation and
exportation of most live animals and plants. These controls are in addition
to those exercised under the Quarantine Act 1908.

Approvals to export live rainbowfishes may be given where the fish have been
bred in captivity or taken under an approved collecting permit. To export
captive bred fish, a copy of a State Aquaculture permit indicating the
species held in captivity will need to be provided with the application to

The relevant authorities of the States and Territories control the
collection of rainbowfishes from the wild and permission will only be
granted where the taking of the species from the wild is not detrimental to
the survival of that species or its habitat.

Most hobbyists in Australia do not have these permits and that's why I
suspect no one in Australia has offered you any fish or eggs! Also to obtain
these permits is a real pain in the bum and in some circumstances impossible.


Adrian R. Tappin
"Home of the Rainbowfish"