Re: [RML] Formalin

Adrian Tappin (atappin at ecn.net.au)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 07:33:48 +1000

Gary,
At 10:46 18/11/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I did a bit of searching, Harro's right 37% is about max. so you consider (like
>below) 996.8 g of formalin to be a 37% solution.

Just a little more on Formaldehyde or Formalin.

Generally when a 37% concentration is stated on the label of a chemical
solution it means 370 g/L. If you use that rate for formalin (formaldehyde)
you will end up with a different dose rate than at 996.8 g/L, which can be
very critical, as you could end up overdosing with disastrous results.

To get the correct dose rate (25 ppm) of formalin you have to use the 999.8
g/L figure in calculations like we did for the other strength eg 1031 g/L.

I think its all because formalin (which is a generic name for formaldehyde)
is an aqueous solution of formaldehyde gas generally containing not less
than 37% (by weight) of formaldehyde gas per weight of water and 6 to 13%
(12%) methanol. In solution, formaldehyde is present chiefly as HO(CH2O)H.
Its molecular weight is 30.93. (Heyden Newport Chemical Corporation, 1961).

I've checked a number of different brand name formalin solutions and checked
their recommended usage rates for 25 ppm and have come up with exactly the
same dose rate using the g/L concentration regardless of the percentage rate
stated on their labels. However, if you use the percentage figure you get a
different result (higher).

This probably applies to most gases dissolved in water. If I remember
correctly some years ago I use to handle a chemical called Vapam (a soil
fumigant) which also stated a higher g/L concentration than the percentage
listed on the label.

Its a pity we didn't have a chemist on the list :-(

Adrian.

Adrian R. Tappin
"Home of the Rainbowfish"
http://www.ecn.net.au/~atappin/home.htm