Re: [RML] Chemical Dose

Adrian Tappin (atappin at ecn.net.au)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:04:10 +1000

At 12:07 16/11/98 +0100, Harro wrote:

>> Active ingredients: Formaldehyde 1031 g/l
>> Malachite green 19.1 g/l
>>
>Again, impossible. It must be a typing mistake. As you write /l it must be a
>solution. But with that mass of formaldehyde it would be damned solid.

I can tell you only what's on the label?

An aquaculture publication I found today "Calculating Treatments for Ponds
and Tanks" Southern Regional Aquacultural Center Publication No. 418 states:-

"Formalin consists of 37-40% formaldehyde by weight and is considered 100%
active".

Their calculation for 100 litres is 2.54 mil so to me it confirms that
Gary's and my calculations of 2.4 mil seems right in the ballpark???

Adrian.

Adrian R. Tappin
"Home of the Rainbowfish"
http://www.ecn.net.au/~atappin/home.htm