Re: [RML] Set up

Gary Lange (gwlange at stlnet.com)
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 21:33:28 -0600

I would bet that it is mostly fry that are being sucked off of the surface
(isn't that
where fry go when they hatch?) and into the sump and not because eggs get
sucked
into the sump - from the surface. Eggs sink and most filter designs I've seen
draw the water off at the surface. If you were to have your mops (or good
spawning type plants) right next to the overflow then you could easily get eggs
into the sump during the spawning surge. I find it hard to figure any other
way that sinking eggs could find their way to the top of the tank to be sucked
out.

The bows in the sump are both males and females - note that I said that I have
a good sponge on the return water so no eggs from the sump can slide back into
the other tanks. With such a mob of bows in the sump no youngsters ever
survive. Even if they did decide to let them live I'm sure the jaguar cats
that prowl at night would probably finish them off :-) Such a beautiful fish
that never comes out.

gary lange