Re: [RML] Archer River Trifasciatas

John Dowden (ejdowden at mindspring.com)
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 11:00:05 -0500 (EST)

The four archers used to have 4 Pascoe Tris as tank mates and everything was
fine, The Archers started this behavior after I removed the Pascoes. I
don't have any other fish with the Archers because I am planning to spawn
them, but with them acting this way, I wonder if its a bad idea to try and
spawn them.

John

At 09:23 AM 11/2/97 +1000, Baz wrote:
>G'day Jim,
>
>It is difficult to know what causes our fish stress in circumstances when we
>think we are doing everything right. I have seen rainbows exhibit this
>fright or "flight" behaviour for long periods (years). Your post brings up
>a good point I forgot to mention to John - that is the dither fish. As you
>pointed out - when these fish are in with other "more confident"? fish they
>behave normally - but on their own something happens and they exhibit this
>classic flight response.
>
>One thing I wonder when seeing a school of fish exhibiting this behaviour -
>where is the dominant male. In the examples I have seen I can't recall
>seeing one truly dominant fish. This would make sense if the typical
>response is schooling as they all must look the same. But at any given time
>is there a dominant fish??? Maybe a dominant fish is required for the fish
>to exhibit a more secure response. Perhaps in cases like yours when the
>fish have been removed from other fish that it takes a while for one fish to
>express dominance over the "herd". I have noted that the dominant fish is
>not necessarily the largest fish, and dominance of the school can be passed
>around over a period of time even during the course of a day.
>
>Regards,
>Barry.

John Dowden
ANGFA NA E-Mail: ejdowden at mindspring.com