Re: [RML] Brackish Rainbows

Dave Wilson (aqua.green at bigpond.com)
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 07:13:40 +0930

I have collected Pseudomugil cyanodarsalis in the mangrove lined creeks
around Darwin Harbour and a small creek near Broome. The water is mostly
sea water but gets diluted by seasonal rains each wet season. Pseudomugil
inconspicuus are even further away from the freshwater in deeper mangrove
lined creeks only accessible by boat. P.inconspicuus appear to live in
schools deeper in the water body away from the surface, still near the
mangroves. Next time I collect some P.inconspicuus I will try them in fresh
water to see if they can tolerate fresh for any length of time.

Australia has freshwater stingrays, sawfish and sharks. If you go for a
swim in the Daly River, NT it is not just the crocodiles that you should be
wary about. The Bull Shark, Carcharhinus leucas is common in most of the
larger freshwater rivers in the warmer parts of Australia. It is the same
shark that swims inland in the Amazon River. They get around.

Cheers
Dave