Re: [RML] Y2K bug

Andrew (andrew at pcug.org.au)
Sat, 01 May 1999 13:15:22 +1000

At 12:30 1/05/99 +1000, Deanne wrote:
>As I'm new to this list, apologies in advance if this topic has already
>been xplored.
>I'm wondering what alternatives could be put in place in the event of
>lengthy electricity failures (& therefore no filters) once the new
>millenium arrives.
>Deanne

My advice would be to move to a country with a low civil disturbance
potential and a fewer firearms-to-lunatics ratio before the big 2K, Deanne.

Seriously, people used to do a lot with what they had before the rise of
the Aquarium Goods industry. Tractor inner-tubes for air, or windup
gramaphone motors, or windmills driving oildrum "gasometer" air resevoirs
(sp?).

There are a lot of low-tech ways of doing things. Some of them are in the
FAMA "For What It's Worth" book.

Cheers, Andrew
andrew at pcug.org.au http://www.tip.net.au/~andrew

"Beware of people who dislike cats."