Re: [RML] Fluidized bed vs. Wet/dry

Mike Adams Jr. (mfadam1 at pop.uky.edu)
Wed, 28 May 1997 16:01:05 -0400

I heard about this at a wholesale distributor's show. Apparently, it's the
folks at Marineland who are conducting this research. They gave a
presentation on it, but following an evening of drinks paid for by the
Marineland guys, there was just no way to get up for the 6:30 meeting the
next morning. I guess that's a pretty good strategy if you want to keep
people from attending your presentations ;).

Later

Mike

At 05:38 AM 5/29/97 +1000, you wrote:
>While on the subject of filtration has anyone seen the following article on
>Aquarium.net
>
>Is there a Need for a Successful System? By Sam Gamble
>
>Particularly the following paragraph:
>
>"And now, recently another part of the dogma has been challenged. In the
>study, Comparative Analysis of Nitrifying Bacteria Associated with
>Freshwater and Marine Aquaria" (published in the August '96 Journal of
>Applied and Environmental Microbiology) by Timothy Hovanec, under the
>direction of Dr. Edward F. DeLong, it was revealed that in freshwater
>aquaria, Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter bacteria DO NOT drive the
>nitrification process. Also in the study it was revealed that in saltwater
>aquaria, Nitrosomonas is present, whereas Nitrobacter is NOT."
>
>Anyone got any comments on this or know any more on the subject???
>
>Adrian.
> Adrian R. Tappin
> Home of the Rainbowfish
> http://www.ecn.net.au/~atappin/home.htm