fishes of sahul

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Mon, 27 May 1996 20:13:57 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 28 May 1996, Bruce Hansen wrote:

> As a corollary to this science/hobby interface theme how do listmembers =
> perceive ANGFA's journal " the Fishes of Sahul" - is it a reasonable =
> attempt to provide such an interface? We on the committee would be =

I think the journal has a very good mix of articles. I think that over
the years there has been a trend away from aquarium based articles to
field trip type articles. This is obviously not a deliberate trend, just
that that is the type of articles that have been getting written lately.
I think things such as articles on the status of specific threatened
fishes in local areas can be useful, see the article by myself and George
Paras on Galaxiella pusilla around Melbourne. When did we last hear
anything about the status of honey blue eyes or gertrudae and maccullochi
around Cairns or redfinned blue eyes etc? After all, ANGFA does claim
that it is a conservation organisation in part.

As has been brought up at the committee before some degree of referee
system for articles would improve some of the content and correct
errors. I think the only reason why this hasn't been done is a lack of
assistance and the neccessary time delay this would involve. If I know
Ron, by the time he finishes an issue he may be lucky to have enough
material to go straight on with the next one. It's a problem that has no
simple answer.

Tootles

Pete Unmack