Re: [RML] Smuggling was Gerry Allen

Andrew Boyd (andrew at pcug.org.au)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:36:36 +1000

At 15:46 31/03/98 +1000, Adrian wrote:
{deletia}
>I particularly like the part "...these days expertise is proliferating like
>magic and about as deceptive. Knowing many of the people now pushing such
>matters in the government I am very much aware of levels of technical
>background (or lack of it) and the power of bureaucracy..."
>
>This letter was written 22 years ago - I guess some things never really
change!

Expertise does indeed proliferate like magic, Adrian, and I use the mundane
use of the word magic that infers sleight of hand, trickery, and optical
illusion ;)

For every problem, real or imagined, there is an equal and opposite expert.
For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert ;) The classical
case was the Chamberlain case a while back, where both sides produced
experts to verify that (a) Dingoes would never attack humans and if they
ever did they would do it differently OR (b) Dingoes had a long history of
attacking humans and when they did they did it in just that way... as the
norteamericanos say, go figure ;)

Cheers, Andrew
Andrew Boyd - andrew at pcug.org.au - http://www.tip.net.au/~andrew
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet
engines"