RE: [RML] more Tuberculosis?

Kevin Sheller (kevmo at aplants.com)
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:29:26 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C533AA.ED10B840

I appreciate the responses I've received already. I've been battling
different diseases in my 3-year-old 75 gallon community tank recently, and
it's been very frustrating. (12 boesmani-like rainbows, 4 rosey barbs, 2
blue rams, 4 gardeneri killies)

Because I do a heavily planted, high-light, CO2 injected setup, I do weekly
40-50% water chagnes, so water quality shouldn't be an issue. (Plus the
nutrient uptake from all of the plants.)

I think the causes of some of my disease problems were... one time I
refilled the tank with surprisingly cold water -- the tank temp dipped to 70
degrees F (It had gotten colder during refill without my knowledge). I had
also created an oxygen problem because I had too many plants that were
blocking the surface tension that should have been created by my filter
return.

I used MELAFIX and PRIMAFIX to solve what looked to be columnaris in my
boesmani males.

So, recently I had what looked to be the dropsy infection in my killies, a
likely bout of ick, and the columnaris. I've not lost any rainbows yet. Most
of them are about three years old.

I've not added any new fish to the tank in about 4-5 months. While the rams
were my latest addition, they have been healthy since they were added. I
quarantine every fish I get.

The ram was the only stringy feces problem I saw. So far, both of the blue
rams appear to be eating normally. Their behavior seems unchanged.

One of my australian rainbows (one of those weird hybrids from US farming)
is extremely, abnormally thin, but his behavior hasn't changed and he
continues to eat.

Thanks again for everyone's insight.

Where can I get this medicine, "Metronidazole" ?

Thanks!
Kevmo