Re: [RML] Mouth fungus

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:09:07 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, mbensmith wrote:

> My Bosemani, Turquoise, and Goyder River rainbows are having
> on-again/off-again problems with a white flaky mouth fungus. I tried
> PimaFix antifungal remedy and it really didn't do much. Any
> suggestions? Thanks.

If you don't have any plants that you care about add salt at 10ppt (10
grams per liter, which is 38 grams per gallon, or 1.4 ounces per gallon).
This should be rock salt, or cooking salt, not table salt. Dissolve it
first, then dump it in, they can handle fast increases in salinity.
After 10 days or so they should be all cleared up. Make sure you decrease
salinities by no more than 50% (25% the first decrease is probably better)
per day, as if you drop it too fast you'll kill the fish. This treatment
works great for whitespot and a few other parasites as well. Don't try it
on your minnows, catfish, or tetras though. Those are wimpy fish that
can't handle that much salt. :-)

Cheers
Peter Unmack