RE: [RML] RSG

Schenck, Lyndle (lschenck at dcscorp.com)
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:44:10 -0500

Hi,

My name is Lyndle Schenck and I have volunteered to work Species Maintenance
and Fish/Egg listing for the RSG. I realize my name is not too familiar as
I tend to keep a low profile on the lists but I have been keeping fish and
plants for about 35 years. I jumped into bows hard about 5 years ago and
kept around 14 species/varieties at any one time with very good success.
Two years ago I had to empty my tanks when our jobs forced us to move. I am
just now, slowly, getting my fish room back in order. My personal emphasis
is on planted tanks (and bows of course). I have some strong opinions on
DIY high-tech equipment that I have learned the hard way and that I am happy
to share when asked. ;-).

I feel that I owe a great deal to the RSG. My original "Bows" came from the
local PetsMart and were bought just to complement a new planted tank I
wanted to photograph. While these fish were beautiful they were JUNK as far
as Rainbowfish go. I joined the RSG and started ordering eggs for just
about everything that I could find. I must of had "Magic Water" because
every species I tried turned out exceptional. I also made some great
friends who are now working hard to help me get restarted.

I want to ask our members and anyone else on this list that have quality
breeding stock to try to spread their wealth. If even the most casual
breeders could commit to sending one or two mops out per month we could
protect some of our rarer species and hopefully displace some of the
inferior stock coming out of the commercial breeders.

In a future issue of the Rainbow Times I want to work on some suggested
guidelines for sending mops out. (I hope I can avoid the 100th iteration of
how to make mops, breed the fish, and mail the package.) I also want to
start working to reestablish the Species Maintenance Program. There will be
a steep learning curve for that if we have to start from scratch but it is a
very important part of ensuring that we keep these fish genetically sound.

Please help Gary with articles, suggestions, and fish/egg listing.

If anyone has any questions I can be reached at Lwschenck at earthlink.net or
you can call 301 934-4769. Just tell my wife that you want to speak to her
"fish geek" husband.

Lyndle Schenck