Re: [RML] Questions regarding Rhadinocentrus

bowluvr (bowluvr at email.msn.com)
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 08:29:07 -0800

Thanks, Gary! :-)

I actually do have a Daphnia culture going in a barrel outside, and can
still harvest a few here and there despite the cold. Soon it will be going
again like mad and then the whole fishroom will get a treat!

Those folks in the US keeping their Rhads at higher GH/KH... are they
getting fry?
And, once again, I am still curious as to your thoughts on whether or not
you think I can get any fry in the tank vs having to use mops and pull egss,
etc. Some of my bows will make babies nicely in a colony setting (fry are
born and raised up in the same tank as the parents) and some of them won't.
Heck! The Mel. pierruciae would frequently have small fry swimming in with
them in the bare tank they were in. :-) The tris I have eat their young
even when in planted tanks. I was hoping the Rhads would be more like
pierruciae than tris.

Has anyone out there raised these guys in an aquarium seeting rather than a
pond? I am not currently in a situation where I could do the pond thing, so
that isn't an option.

Thanks!
Julie <><

> Hey there are other people in the US keeping Rhads at higher GH and KH
> levels that said they did alright with these fish. I don't think I would
> worry too much about keeping the pH so low. A lot of fish collectors,
> collecting in SA have said that their fish actually do a lot better once
> they get them to harder water. They are found in that water because the
> tougher fish outcompete them in the more desirable water. However they
said
> they did better in harder water. I think I would try the same thing with
> these and not try to reproduce the exact conditions. Lots of live foods
> will probably get them going. They were especially fond of chasing
daphnia.
> If you don't have a culture get a 10-20 gallon set up and I'll send you
> some.
>
> Gary Lange

In