Re: [RML] Questions regarding Rhadinocentrus

bowluvr (bowluvr at email.msn.com)
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 06:02:12 -0800

The thing that worries me the most about that low of a pH -- and probably
the reason why most acid-loving fish seem to do poorly at those levels in
aquaria -- is the inherent instability of it. The lower it gets, the easier
and more often it fluctuates. Even feeding the fish could move it some at
that level, and it is darn difficult to do water changes and keep it stable,
maybe short of pre-treating the water to make it match those parameters
exactly. Way too much work.

I'd rather just keep it a tiny bit higher. Like I said, the fish look good
and are eating. They even take flake. The only fish I've kept that suffered
no ill effects from that low of a pH drop have been Rams (Microgeophagus
ramirezi) and Satanoperca spp.

I suppose I could remove one of the chunks and see if it'll go a tiny bit
lower though.

I guess what I am really interested in is: will they spawn in the plants and
"allow" the fry to live in the tank with them, or do I have to switch to
mops and pull the eggs out to raise them? They are in a large tank for the
few of them that I have, and I was hoping the fry would just grow up w/ the
parents so that I didn't have to distrub them too much. They seem to be much
more skittish than Melonotaenia/Glossolepis/etc.

Julie <>,

> Julie,
> I just measured the pH in the tank behind my desk at work which is home to
3
> Rhads and 3 P. mellis. The JBL test kit gave me 4.5 (chart in 0.5
> increments) and the electronic gauge gave me 4.1. This is probably because
> don't do enough water changes in the work tanks. All fish seem happy
enough.
> 3.8 is pretty acidic but I can imagine some Rhad habitats getting like
that
> naturally. The pH of our coastal acidic lakes is often low. Some of the
> Queenslanders might have experience of low pHs in the Morton and Hervey
Bay