Re: [RML] Questions regarding Rhadinocentrus

Bruce Hansen (bruceh at powerup.com.au)
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 22:06:27 +1000

Hello All

Rhads are just about one of my favourite Australian aquarium fish and come
from the regions surrounding where I live. Matthew is correct in saying they
mostly come from soft acid habitats ( most have tested between between 4 and
6) and seem to prefer dappled shade and moving water that doesn't get too
hot - your mid 70s sound OK to me Julie.

In captivity maintaining a soft acid system with some sort of stability is
not that easy especially at the lower end so Julies coral and around 6 would
probably work OK.

LIke Matthew I generally pond breed them outside in a small group and they
generally reproduce in spring rather than in the heat of summer. Some
females show quite a LOT OF COLOUR so go by the rounded fins - young males
tend to have square tips.

Regards,
Bruce Hansen
vicepresident - ANGFA Inc, ANGFA (Qld) Inc
Please visit us at http://www.angfa.org.au