RE: [RML] Questions regarding Rhadinocentrus

Matthew Stanton (matthews at sf.nsw.gov.au)
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:55:13 +1100

Julie,
I just measured the pH in the tank behind my desk at work which is home to 3
Rhads and 3 P. mellis. The JBL test kit gave me 4.5 (chart in 0.5
increments) and the electronic gauge gave me 4.1. This is probably because I
don't do enough water changes in the work tanks. All fish seem happy enough.
3.8 is pretty acidic but I can imagine some Rhad habitats getting like that
naturally. The pH of our coastal acidic lakes is often low. Some of the
Queenslanders might have experience of low pHs in the Morton and Hervey Bay
areas.