Re: [RML] Questions regarding Rhadinocentrus

bowluvr (bowluvr at email.msn.com)
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:09:49 -0800

Bruce

Yes, that is what tends to happen with all of the fish I have
colony-spawned, from Lamprologus brevis, to Pencilfish to the Mel.
pierruciae. I only got 8 peirruciae, but now they are in their own grow out
tank and will be my new colony. The pencils and brevis did much better, with
30 or so fry hatched out before the sibling cannabalism started in.

Nice thing tho is it is the easieast way for me to get those first fry, as
no one has to be disturbed by me pulling out and changing mops. :-) And I
do find that most bows prefer the plants to the mops so if I want eggs in
the mops I have to remove the plants, even the java fern. Worse comes to
worse, I will move the adults to another tank after a month and see if any
fry don't "pop up" in the original tank soon afterwards. ;-)

At this point, if I got a dozen fry growing up in there, I would be a VERY
happy camper. :-) The adults have settled in nicely and even come out to
eat while I am still in front of their tank... at least they will if I am
very still. ;-)

One more question for you: how big are the Rhad's eggs in comparson to other
rainbow spp? Are they smaller like Glossolepis or larger like Pseudomugils?
I have some tiny Corys (can't find ID in a book, but they are <1"
full-grown) that I think would make good dithers for the Rhads, but am
scared of them eating the eggs if Rhad eggs are small. I am not worried if
Rhad eggs are large, as these cats probably couldn't fit a Blue-eye egg in
their mouth even if they wanted to. What's your opinion on trying this?

Thanks! :-)
Julie <><