RE: [RML] Suitable tankmates for Pseudomugil signifier and Ps. cy

Matthew Stanton (matthews at sf.nsw.gov.au)
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:47:10 +1100

If you can get them, Glass Perch (Ambassis) can make good tank mates for
Pseudomugil in a salty tank. I have kept marianus, jacksoniensis(sp?) and
agassizii. The marianus seemed to be the best both for looks and robustness.
agassizii didn't like the salt so much. There are plenty of other species of
glass perch, not just from Australia. Many of them live in estuaries.
Also worth trying are a wide range of gobies. Look for the smaller
Redigobius species. Don't know if they would be available in the states
though.

Pacific Blue-eyes will look their best if you can reduce the salt or even
take them into fresh water. I have found that their fin colour and fin size
are best in fresh water. They also seem to respond very well to occasional
changes in salinity and other water parameters but don't let the water get
too acidic. And don't over feed them!

On the other hand, I can't imagine cyanodorsalis getting on well in fresh
water.

Later
Matthew