Re: [RML] Suitable tankmates for Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis

Wright Huntley (huntley1 at home.com)
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:13:34 -0800

Doug Karpa-Wilson wrote:

> So, it seems that signifiers and cyanos aren't good tankmates for each
> other. So, that leaves me with the question of who's a good tank mate for
> cyanos besides the glass perch. I figure (incorrectly?) that smaller
> peaceful freshwater fish will do well with the signifiers.

Ever considered *Pantanodon stuhlmanni* (formerly podoxys)? If the tank is
where you can view it in the hours before lunch, they can be as spectacular
as the *Ps. cyanodorsalis*, and probably would do very well with them.

Otherwise, they are just a pretty, silvery lampeye. I keep them at a SG of
about 1.015 or so. Al Castro, whose water starts out at 0.005 less than
mine, kept them at 1.010. They, too, need ultra small foods. They eat
anything, but I feed mine mostly bbs because they are available.

BTW, I have three lonely *stuhlmanni* females, and would (shipping only when
weather permits) really like to get a male, or a mop of eggs. This is one
lampeye worth the bother of brackish maintenance, IMHO.

If you can't be around the tank at mid-morning, to see the males light up,
they may not be worth all that bother. Great coffee-break cheer for a tank
at work, though, if there's a daily light cycle in your lab or office.

[Apologies for the OT suggestion, but they seem to fit.]

Wright

--
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679  wright at killi dot net

http://www.atchison.com/Killifish/BAKA-WCW-10.html

For all you ever wanted to know about West Coast Weekend X The great killifish show and convention, combined with West Coast Live