Re: [RML] Seasonal boesemani

Sun, 21 Jun 1998 13:25:54 +1000

One Doc to another

Welcome to the List and to keeping Rainbows. If what your LFS says is true
and that females are not available at the moment it is more likely that the
shop has had trouble selling the relatively plain females in the past so
has been in the habit of only buying the spectacular males or alternately
that the supplier has done likewise. Season availability also could relate
to fish raised outdoors in ponds rather than wild-caught.

If you mention your locality perhaps one of the listmembers near you can
help you out with spare females.

Virtually all Rainbows will cross in the artificiality of aquarium
existence so plan for that by having a separate tank for breeding, raising
etc and you can then keep a community of rainbows and select and spawn the
appropriate pairs in the second tank. You will need a separate tank anyway
if you really wish to breed.