Re: [RML] Tropical Fish Granuloma

Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:07:44 +1000

My understanding is that each species of Mycobacterium is more or less
specific to a particular group of animals so for example Piscine TB will
tend to occur for the most part in cold-blooded animals such as fish ,
reptiles, amphibians etc

Those few cases that occur in humans tend to be confined to limbs where
body temperatures are lower. However we have to be careful in translating
this to the fish situation as some species of fish will be stressed at
temps outside their normal range ( both above and below) so their immunity
and immune responses may be adversely impaired while the invading organism
may have it's success enhanced

To some extent the old equation of Host immunity Vs organism virulence
still is the simplest way to start looking at it.

The factors that modify these 2 basics then start to become important in
explaining the inconsistencies in the observations and conclusions.

Regards,Bruce.