RE: [RML] Tropical Fish Granuloma

Taylor, Ralph (taylorr at Marshall.edu)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 10:44:16 -0400

Hey Mach. I was out of town this weekend and missed a single feeding.
Something went wrong as all of the furcatus are dead as of Sunday night.
All were in great shape and feeding well on Friday afternoon. I feed
heavily on whiteworms. Do you think that could have been a problem?
Ralph T.
Dr. Ralph Taylor
Associate Dean, College of Science

270 Science Building
Phone: (304) 696-2338
FAX: (304) 696-3243

-----Original Message-----
From: Mach T. Fukada [SMTP:fukada at hawaii.edu]
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 1998 7:32 PM
To: rainbowfish at pcug.org.au
Subject: Re: [RML] Tropical Fish Granuloma

Allmost the same thing that the vet that deals with fish here in
Hawaii
said. It is everywhere. It can be present on plants, moist
areas,
anything. There is allomst nothing we can do about it. More
importantly
is to determine the conditions that makes M. marinum pathogenic.
It seems
like most of the time it is a saprophyte or weak pathogen that
affects fish
of compromised health (poor water quality (pH, ammonia, etc)
over feeding,
etc. There have been reports of virulent pathogeninc strains
running
ammuck and wiping out people (Fred Morita's swortail, platty,
viartus,
opperation). In these cases virtually overnight it spread from
asymptomatic fish to the rest of the tanks. However, I will
admit that
after testing his water it seems that it had a hight pH (8.0)
and now
buffering (KH effectively 0). So his pH fluctuates widely and I
am sure
results in the fish being stressed out.

Adrian,
saw your article in the mag. looks good. Nice to see
that some
bows are getting some good press. No Pseudomugils, I was bummed
;-(

MTF

>In my continuing quest to find a solution to the
Mycobacteriosis problem
>faced by fishkeepers I stumbled across an article written in
1976 on
>Tropical Fish Granuloma. I will be reprinting the article in a
future ANGFA
>Bulletin. However, here is an interesting extract:
>
>"Mansson reported a similar case in Sweden in 1970, and
identified Daphnia
>as a possible source of infection. Mansson found M. marinum not
only in a
>patient's skin lesions, but also in sand snails and dead fish
in the
>patient's aquarium, and in mud in a pond from which Daphnia had
been
>collected and fed to the fish. Also in 1970 were reported three
more cases
>of M. marinum infection in California, all of aquarists who cut
their hands
>just before or during work on a tropical aquarium.
>
>The first cases in the southern hemisphere were reported from
Auckland, New
>Zealand, in 1971. One was a tropical fish keeper at the
Auckland Zoo,
>another a pet shop owner, and a third a part time assistant in
a pet shop.
>M. marinum was isolated from all three cases. Tanks at the Zoo
and the pet
>shops, and also the elephant pond at the Zoo from which the
keeper collected
>Daphnia, were checked for the presence of M. marinum. It was
found in five
>tanks at the Zoo, and in a dead ram and a dead axolotl at the
Zoo, but not
>at the other sites. Cultures from a Danish brand of dried
daphnia were also
>negative (drying or freeze-drying would not kill M. marinum if
it were
>present)."
>
>Adrian.

> Adrian R. Tappin