Re: [RML] Ross River blueeyes

Adrian R. Tappin (atappin at ecn.net.au)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 06:30:29 +1000

At 22:53 9/06/98 -0500, Gary wrote:

>Now I haven't kept my "butterflies" in 20 degrees KH so I don't know if they
>show as bright of a color as I'm seeing in 1/2 salt. Adrian, what sort of
>plants are you keeping with those fish at that hardness? That is one of the
>things that would really be nice to add IF they still kept the great colors.
>I'm also wondering about the egg production at that sort of hardness. It seems
>like Pseudomugils live so quickly so you would be best to start making your
>next generation if you wish to keep them. They are well worth the space. I'm
>looking to evict a group of NG Melanotaenias soon to give the butterflies some
>more room. A 2 foot tank is really necessary to truly enjoy a group. Maybe
>I'll get lucky and get a photo out of it too. So far nothing but blurs, maybe
>we should call them the Michael Jordan Blue-eye :-)

Well, you have to decide if you are displaying your fish or breeding them.
When I'm breeding fish they don't have any plants whatsoever, just spawning
mops. If you provide plants then you wont collect as many eggs. Most colour
intensity comes about from spawning males so it really doesn't matter if
they have a nicely decorated tank or not. In my opinion if they are spawning
then the water conditions must suit them otherwise they wouldn't spawn. As
for age you must be burning them out as I have had T'ville blue-eyes live at
least 4 years before. This lot as I said would have to be at least 18- 24
months old and are doing fine and I expect them to live a few more years
yet. You should give your rainbowfishes and blue-eyes a 'winter' period
where the temperature is low if you want them to live longer. Lower
temperatures will give them a longer life!

Adrian.
Adrian R. Tappin
"Home of the Rainbowfish"
http://www.ecn.net.au/~atappin/home.htm