Re: [RML] Beginner needs advise

Andrew Boyd (andrew at pcug.org.au)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:50:59 +1000

At 22:41 10/06/98 +1000, Dr Bruce wrote:
>Cary's remark about the wild-caught Boesmani dying early reminded me of a
>conversation I had with a chap who was friends with one of Heiko's breeders
>in Europe. Apparently this fellow was of the opinion that many of the wild
>fish had very little resistance to the common diseases that occur in our
>aquaria and succumb easily to them despite treatment with 'standard" cures.
>
>He based this opinion on his experience with the fish from the Triton Lakes
>particularly

Makes sense to me, Bruce :)

If the experience of reptile breeders is anything to go on... we humans
have an equally as rigourous yet different in method style of selecting for
survivors in the animals we take from the wild... after a couple of
generations, generally speaking, we have selected for those specimens who
are able to survive our keeping methods.

St Peter of the Desert (Goby) may wish to add something, or make a
refutation ;)

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew Boyd - andrew at pcug.org.au - http://www.tip.net.au/~andrew
"Zaphod screamed a diminished fifth himself, dropped his light and sat
heavily on the floor, or rather on a body which had been lying there
undisturbed for around six months and which reacted to being sat on
by exploding with great violence."
Douglas Adams, from "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe"