RE: [RML] Body Sliders

Mach T. Fukada (fukada at hawaii.edu)
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 01:25:29 -1000

At 10:11 AM 6/5/98 -1000, you wrote:

I have also noticed a few when I forced P. cyanodorsalis and P. signifer
Ross River. I typically take a bunch of eyed up eggs that are over due for
hatching and place them into a vial about half full with incubation water
and the eggs. Then exhale into the vial, (kill all the eggs with halitosis
;-) and walk around with the vial in my pocket. This works very well and
helps to syncronize all the fry. I think my water is a bit off (salt
concentration or silica, Ca, etc) and very few fry hatch out on their own.

In this case maybe the fry are premature when hatched or overdue again as a
reason for belly sliders (killies anyway). I think something simmilar was
seen with water incubating annual killie eggs until they hatched,
typically all would turn into belly sliders. They also have bee worning on
partial water (4 weeks) then dry storage. In this case the incunbation time
was greatly reduced (normally in a 6 month incubation species could be cut
to two months). But very often I am told the result is belly sliders.

>Would you like to expand on your comments "when I force hatch fry"?
>
>I was wondering if maybe a low oxygen level in the hatching water might be a
>cause? The reason I ask is that like Mach, I generally handpick my eggs and
>hatch them in small (4 litre) containers. Usually about half full with water
>and added methylene blue.
>
>Adrian.
> Adrian R. Tappin
> "Home of the Rainbowfish"